These cupcakes were made along with some other zoo animal designs for the birthday of an adorable one-year-old boy.
- Filled cupcakes, frosted with vanilla buttercream (recipe is in my book)
- Light blue modeling chocolate or fondant
- Round cutter, 1” (25 mm) diameter
- modeling chocolate or fondant
- rolled modeling chocolate equipment
- googly chocolate eyeballs
- More vanilla buttercream (recipe is in my book) for piping
- Blue food coloring
- Piping bag, disposable
- #3 and #12 round piping tips
1. Form the elephant ears by cutting circles out of light blue modeling chocolate with a 1” (25 mm) round cutter. Bunch them together at one end. Trim the excess.
2. Place two ears on either side of each cupcake, just above center, burying the rough ends in the frosting.
3. Using light blue buttercream and a #12 tip, pipe the heads and trunks onto the surface of the cupcakes in the sequence illustrated above. Piping the trunk element involves lifting the bag to make a sideways S shape.
4. Using a #3 tip, pipe two circular rotations at the end of each snout to create hollow trunk openings.
5. Nestle two chocolate eyeballs on each cupcake where the snout meets the head to complete the elephant faces.
You might also enjoy:
How to Make Modeling Chocolate Video