The challenge of the creature cake involves striking a balance between realistic and yummy. Here, modeling chocolate + fondant makes piggish features possible while yumminess is conveyed in a buttercream mud puddle, splashes of dark chocolate glaze, truffles, malt balls, and chocolate chip dirt.
The five main tricks to my pig cake design are:
1. Using the open palm of a gloved hand to frost contoured shapes.
2. Creating basic body parts separately that can be fitted together to complete the form
3. Etching fur and features over plastic wrap for an animal skin effect.
4. Brushing the cake with cocoa powder to accentuate the fur and wrinkles.
5. Imagining how a pig would feel if it were a cake.
The complete tutorial for this cake is now available in my book
Cake Decorating with Modeling Chocolate: